TRADITION & HISTORY
In 1718 the bakerman Franz Goehringer bought a site next to the Catholic "Stiftskirche" in the centre of Baden-Baden, then the residence of the Margraves of Baden. Two years later he opened the inn"Gasthaus zum gruenen Baum" despite the massive protests of the parish that did not want a restaurant near the church. Due to financial problems the Gasthaus was sold by auction in 1763. The new owners were the Jesuits who used the house as part of their Jesuit Order and it was no longer used as a restaurant.
But times changed again: After the nationalization of church property the house was sold again - again to a bakerman who reopened the restaurant and in 1819 offered rooms for guests for the first time.
Over the next decades the landlords came and went but the "Gruener Baum" survived and by the end of the 19th century the guesthouse was allowed to add a beergarden in front of the house.
After World War II the guesthouse was occupied by the French army. Finally, in 1951, Hilde und Gustav Bogner owned the house and opened it under the new name "Hotel am Markt".
Soon it became very popular by tourists and local people. Famous actors and musicians who worked for the local TV station and the theatre made this place in the heart of the old town to one of the most famous addresses in Baden-Baden. A guestbook documents this great time.
Today the hotel is run by the second and third generation.
>> Give us a telephone call